Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Periodic log of issues/comments/notes on PUT activity.

5/23/2011 Had HPQ options assigned. I was looking closing this before the SCHEDULED earnings, but HPQ had leak and moved up announcement and stock dropped over $2.50 before getting a chance to close at a profit. Selling CC's against this holding. Rolled the BRK.B May$80 to Sep11 $77.50. Closed 3 positions (EXC, TEVA, TEVA) in taxable account to open up some leverage $ for new PUTs.

5/9/2011 Sold SU PUTs in taxable account for my first energy related PUT in quite a while now that the price per barrel of oil is under $100. High IV allows for higher return with a delta within my investment criteria.

4/21/2011 Sold more TEVA PUTs today in taxable account after $4.00 drop in one day due to results of a BIIB MS Drug appearing better than a TEVA drug. We'll see in a few months if my strategy of selling DOTM PUTs in my taxable account can overcome a mini-black swan in a stock.

4/15/2011 GREED IS BAD!: Had BAC Apr11 $13 PUTs in IRA account set to expire at the close of trading on 4/15. BAC announced earnings that morning with the stock at $13.20. Stock moved up in early trading to $13.30+ so I didn't close the position. I had to leave for several hours and when I returned BAC was down to $12.80-$12.90. I closed the position for $.15, still made money, but could have closed for $.02 in the AM. Greed cost me 30% of my profit on this position. At least closing the position was correct as BAC was down 3-4% on 4/18 when I sold Jun11 $12 PUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment